Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

w-inds -- Forever Memories


Last month, Marcos V. wrote the blog's first entry for w-inds, "LOVE IS THE GREATEST THING", and I just went "Well, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time!"

Like Marcos, I was never a fan of the aidoru group but I do remember their debut single back when it was released in March 2001, "Forever Memories". Well, actually, I didn't remember the title but there was the original music video which had lead vocalist Keita Tachibana(橘慶太)sing in that really cute high voice. I had to wonder how old the lad was, and frankly speaking, for the first couple of times that I had the seen the video, I was rather stuck on whether I was watching a boy or a tomboy.

It didn't help that the song which was written and composed by Hiroaki Hayama(葉山拓亮)sounded just as cute (and I have to admit that I didn't recollect hearing a soprano sax in a turn-of-the-century aidoru tune then or since) . "Forever Memories" sounded as if it had been made for the elementary school set although Tachibana and his two bandmates Ryohei Chiba(千葉涼平)and Ryuichi Ogata(緒方龍一)could bust a move like the folks at SMAP and Arashi(嵐). But w-inds was never a Johnny's group; it belonged to Rising Production.


"Forever Memories" made it all the way up to No. 12 on Oricon and ended up as the 91st-ranked song for 2001. It was also a track on w-inds' debut album "w-inds.〜1st message〜" which had been released in December of that year and hit the top spot on the charts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.