Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Eikichi Yazawa -- Tomaranai HA~HA (止まらないHA~HA)


I hope everyone had a good start to the new year. I kind of did with Okinawan food for dinner with the family on New Year's day - I've finally acquired the taste of bitter gourd (goya)! - but the persistent cold I caught from the bug flying around the extended family Christmas party was quite a dampener.

That aside, here's my first article for 2018. Looking back at my previous write-ups, I had always been beginning the year with enka, so I thought it'd mix things up a little this time around with what I consider as one of my guilty pleasures - no, not "Kiyoshi no Zundoko Bushi" (きよしのズンドコ節) - Eikichi Yazawa's (矢沢永吉) "Tomaranai HA~HA".

I don't know all that much about Yazawa, save for his shibui persona and beer adverts, but it seems like "Tomaranai" is one of his most iconic hits and is a real crowd pleaser when it comes to his concerts. Not surprising considering it got me hooked the moment I heard it via those best-selling hit medleys. The strong 80's vibe from the synths, the excessive amount of electric guitar, and the screaming sax (my favourite bit) all make for an indulgence for the ears; Yazawa's husky howls and that defiant way in which he yells out "____ HA HA!" is awesome. I'm not one to listen to music at high volumes, but whenever I do get reminded of "Tomaranai" that's hiding somewhere in my "Liked Videos" playlist on YouTube, I make an exception. It's so LOUD, but it sounds so GOOD. Oddly enough, I find that it serves as sort of a stress-relief song - the almost anarchic vibe of the singer and the rockin' score makes one feel like they can let loose and go ballistic. Not like I actually do, though. It's just the feeling of it.

Definitely not my usual cup of oolong tea that is enka, that's for sure. I suppose it's more like a lemonade soda slushie that can give you brain freeze. "Tomaranai" is wild and so is the man behind the mike, but does it make for one heck of a palate cleanser!


Yazawa himself composed the music, and Tetsuya Chiaki (ちあき哲也) was in charge of penning the lyrics. "Tomaranai" was never released as a single, but it first came packaged in the album "Tokyo Night" (東京ナイト) on 25th July 1986. And then it was also included in "FLASH IN JAPAN", his album aimed at the American market, but in an English version titled "HURRICANE" - that'd be interesting to hear.


2017 was quite a rough year, but it had its merits. I hope 2018 will be more smooth-sailing. I wish you readers and writers alike a Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Noelle and Happy New Year to you!

    Watching the video, I figured that Yazawa would be playing the urban take-no-bull hellraiser (with a mighty fine theme song following him). However, he also shows that as long as you don't bother him, he won't bother you. Contrasts rather nicely with those BOSS canned coffee commercials where he looks like the sad sack of the corporate world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck and Happy New Year to you too!

      From the intimidation and dancing on the bar, probably the sad sack in the commercials has had enough - it's time to show the world what he's made of! :)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.